It doesn’t matter what size your breasts are, wearing the wrong sports bra can result in some major uncomfortability. Working out allows the breast tissue to move about, & if you’re wearing a sports bra that doesn’t allow adequate support, you can experience soreness, pain, & sagging. A good sports bra is supposed to reduce the movement your breasts make during exercise; hence, reducing the irritations that come with an ill fitting bra. So, when investing in your next sports bra, make sure it has the right qualifications.
A good sports bra should support your body & reduce both back & breast pain to enhance your overall workout routine. Depending on the impact of your workout, different sports bras allow different levels of support, & this should be kept in mind with the level of activity. So first, lets discuss exercise impact.
- Low-impact: Low impact exercises usually have one foot on the ground at all times & are typically easier on the body & its joints. Low impact exercises include activities such as walking, elliptical, & yoga.
- Medium-impact: Medium impact exercises usually combines both low & high impact levels of activity. These exercises may include, hiking, skiing and some aerobics.
- High-impact: In high impact exercise, both feet leave the ground at the same time. Running, jump rope, & some aerobics are classified as high impact.
After keeping in mind the type & level of exercise, it’s important to know the types of sports bras & what they’re best for.
The 3 Types Of Sports Bras
- Compression bras work by compressing the breasts against the chest to restrict movement, & work well for small to medium-breasted women with an A-B cup size. Compression bras come in 2 styles, the scoop-back which works well for low-medium impact activities, & the racer-back which is more supportive & works better for medium-high impact activities.
- Encapsulation sports bras have individual cups that surround & support each breast. Most regular bras are encapsulation bras & have no compression. These bras are great for women with a cup size of C & up, & provide support to eliminate bouncing & side movement.
- Encapsulation/Compression sports bras combine compression with encapsulation for dual support of the breasts. These sports bras offer the most support, & can be worn for most activities.
How Should My Sports Bra Fit?
When looking for a new sports bra, remember that you want both support & comfort. You want a sports bra that fits well, but isn’t making it difficult to move or breath. These 3 qualities are important to keep in mind on your next sports bra voyage.
- When trying on a sports bra, try raising your arms & creating movement to see if the band or cups move. If the bra is moving with your movements, you may want to try a smaller band.
- When looking for a cup size that feels right, remember that your breasts shouldn’t be bulging out of the sports bra. If this occurs, try a larger size. Additionally, the cups shouldn’t have any wrinkles or gaps. If the cup fabric is wrinkled, you may want to try a smaller size. Overall, your sports bra should feel tighter than a regular bra, but should still allow you to breathe deeply & comfortably.
- When looking for a sports bra, keep in mind the fabric type. You’ll want to look for fabrics that allow for durable movement, breathability, & moisture wicking properties. Moisture wicking fabrics can reduce chafing & help remove excess moisture from sweat that can cause skin irritations. Ultimately, moisture wicking fabrics help keep you cool & comfortable so that you can focus on your workout.
Looking for a new sports bra? Try these favorites from our top brands.
Compression: The Jamaica Chic Bra by Onzie is a compression top that features a multi criss-cross design in the back and simple scoop neckline in the front. The top is designed with free-flow technology, dries quickly for ultimate ventilation, & is fully lined for maximum support.
Encapsulation: The Paddle Fast Bra by Alo Yoga is an encapsulation sports bra made from a high performance fabric that allows comfortable four-way stretch & eliminates chafing.
Encapsulation/Compression: The CrossFire Sports Bra by Harvest Active has both compression & encapsulation qualities for ultimate support. The bra is made with fabric that allows a 4 way stretch with flat seams, & moisture wicking properties for a breathable fit that is both secure & comfortable. The bra is also made from close to 90% recycled material for a win, win, win!
Featured sports bras available at Montana Blues